Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

THE WORK HAS BEGUN



Well, I moved into Wilmington, NC to work on my boat. I am currently living on a 65′ Yacht that the broker is trying to sell (it sounds a lot nicer than it is), but it is right north of down town on the river. So if I ever have time to check out downtown it is in a pretty good location.
As for my boat, the current plan is to pull the mast tomorrow and then haul it by truck to the indoor shop so I can get going on the repairs.
I spent all day yesterday with Bob, the broker/previous owner, and got the boat ready for the trip. The main sail, boom, and all lines were taken off and coiled. The bow pulpit and stern pulpit were removed along with all the life line stantions. We lowered the dingy engine and took off the wind generator and pole. The canvas and dodger all came off. The boat looks good all cleaned up. Very open and you can really see the lines with out the other ‘junk’ in the way.
oday, I went and worked on her alone. I labeled and disconnected all wiring to the mast and loosened the shrouds to make sure they were not frozen. I also started to remove some of the deck hardware to get a jump start on that. It stinks that there are a lot of fittings that are through bolted and I don’t have someone to help. I have been running down with a pair of vice grips and then up to unscrew the piece, then back down to clamp the next nut and then up to unscrew the bolt… you get the point.

Hopefully it all works out to plan an by Wednesday I can start the bulk of the work. It is going to take a long time getting set up and all of the junk from inside the boat out of it. Set up the scaffolding and then actually doing the work.
It is still almost unbelievable that it is mine. I am almost still in shock. It is going to be a lot of work and money, and I hope that in the end it will all pay off.

“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
― Thomas A. Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment