Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Christmas in the summer

Note: The last blog hosting sit has been having a lot of problems and deleted all of my pictures and info, I I moved what I could over to this site...

Well, I am finished with work for another 2 &1/2 months but the work on the boat is far from done. I am flying home tonight and then taking a week off before starting work again on Stella Maris. 

Some exciting things that have been going on while I was away... The boat has been painted with AWL grip on the top sides and new non-skid has been laid down. The interior carpentry work should be finishing up soon and from what I saw before I left should be nothing less than amazing. I have it all set up to have a new dodger made when I get back down there and have a surveyor ready to finish the survey for the insurance company.

I have also started outfitting the boat. Which turned out to not be an easy or cheap thing. I had the life raft picked up for service before I left and found out that it would cost only a little less than a new one and was 15 years old. So I went with a new Viking Life Raft with 6 person capacity instead of the old one with only 4. Not going to lie I was not ready for that cost as they quoted 350$ to have it repacked and certified as it had a sticker on if from only a few years ago... Oh well, there is now cost for safety on an appliance that could save your life.

I also purchased all the dock lines, fenders, life jackets with harnesses, jack lines, mast head light, boat hook,   new bilge pump, charts, navigation equipment, and a lot more that I can't even remember right now. It is going to be like Christmas when I get down to the boat with all of the packages that I have to open.

I have also outfitted the galley with the help of my father. We took a lot of advice from the book The Boat Galley which has a ton of good advice from seasoned sailors. I should be a well outfitted galley ready to entertain.

There is still a long "wish list" of stuff that would be nice to have on the list to order in the future. 

As for the work, there is still a long list to go but should only take about a month to finish if all goes according to plan. The start of the list is as follows in no particular order:

Batteries
Wire for Mast Head Light
Bilge Pump Wire and Hose ?Sea Cock?
Flares
Strip and Paint Bottom
Propane Issue / Leak test
Install Stern Hatches
Fix 2 Frozen Sea Cocks
Install Autopilot Arm & Feed Back Arm
Re-paint Binnacle
Wax Hull
Spare Bulbs and fuses
Climbing Gear / Bosouns chair
Rebuild Frozen Winch
Troubleshoot Reefer
Troubleshoot Radio
Clean bilges
Clean/ Inspect Mast Step
Swim Ladder / Fabrication
Make sure toilet works
Bolts on Rudder gudegeon
Rubber Seal on port opening hatch
Install life lines
Install Cleats
Finishing touches on deck
Install Windlass
Bow pulpit and wiring
Stern pulpits and wiring
Oil change and filters
Set up Wind vane
Dodger
Sail Cover
Life Raft

A lot of work to do but nothing that can't be done. I'm flying down to Wilmington on the 29th and the work starts again. I will try to post pictures as I get them and keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment